Ongoing research project | 2016 to 2020
APPLICATE (Advanced Prediction in Polar regions and beyond: modelling, observing system design and LInkages associated with a Changing Arctic climaTE)
The overarching mission of APPLICATE is to develop enhanced predictive capacity for weather and climate in the Arctic and beyond, and to determine the influence of Arctic climate change on Northern Hemisphere mid-latitudes, for the benefit of policy makers, businesses and society.
- Observationally constrain models using advanced metrics and diagnostics
- Develop enhanced weather and climate models
- Determine the impact of Arctic climate change on mid latitudes through atmospheric and oceanic linkages
- Contribute to the design of the future Arctic observing system
- Enhance the capacity to predict Northern Hemisphere weather and climate
- Develop and implement APPLICATE’s research programme in coordination with external scientific partners to exploit synergies
- Transfer the knowledge generated through APPLICATE to stakeholders including training of early career scientists
Within the project ECMWF specific activity will focus on the 3 main areas:
- Develop diagnostic methods to allow us to assess the performance of forecast systems at high latitudes including extreme events.
- Develop the modelling and initialisation of snow at the surface on the land and sea ice.
- Identify areas where observations can provide significant impact in analysis and forecast.
More details about the project can be found on the main project website: